Sunday, January 24, 2010

5K terror!

That was terrible. I mean it could not get worse. It is hard for me to even write about it.

My favorite weather man was calling for rain Saturday morning. Lots of rain. So I told myself, if it was raining when I got up at 4:30 AM, I was staying home. If not, I was running. Saturday morning, January 23, it was cold, but was not raining.

I did not eat the 5K prep meal the night before. To be honest, I thought that I would do better just on the fact that I was running longer and better than the last time I attempted. I was down in weight, so that was good. My mind was telling me this was going to be easier.

I eat an apple and a small yogurt on the way to Springfield. Drink some coffee. Ready to go! I arrive early because I had not preregistered. 6:30 AM. I set in my car after signing up and rested. Watched this crazy character warm up for an hour and a half! As I sat in my car, I would watch him run one way, run another. Come back across with this high knee bend runs, and back across again with lunges. Then when I thought he was done, in my rear view mirror, jumping jacks one way, and jumping jacks again. He was dressed is old time sweats with a sweatshirt hoodie. Looked like Rocky before a fight. He continued this for 90 minutes. I thought it would for sure wear him out. Sprint this way, sprint back. Stretch this way, stretch that way. It was for sure comical.

7:40, I get out of my car, warm up, stretch a bit and hear the chatter of the races. There are around 400 tagged racers. I hear all the things they are discussing and just warm my body. I was so cold, and it was misty. But no rain. Yet.

Women are called to the front as we will start 3:30 minutes before the men. 8:00 AM comes and off we go. I have a good pace, and start well. THEN, a cramp I have never know hits my side. I am doubled over. I slow down, still cramped. Tears fall. and more tears. I slowed to a walk. My first mile, and I am walking and being passed by a train of people. This is not good I told myself. So I started sucking in as much oxygen as I could. Still major cramping. It probably was not helping that I was in tears and between the crying and the cramping, I could not run. When I hit mile marker one, looked down at my watch and saw 18 minutes, I knew this was not going to be good. I thought that I should just turn around. But chose to keep on going regardless. I could not look at other runners as my sobs were louder and louder with every foot hitting the pavement.

Then, at mile 2, the cramping subsided, and I was jogging again. People were passing me on the way back, and I watch a flood of runner pass me as they headed back. I did not look back. I just kept going. and kept crying.

Between mile 2 and mile 3, two things happened to me that overwhelmed me. First, the woman that sold me the shoes, a 40 year old marathon runner, was guarding traffic and directing runners. When I saw her around the bend, and she looked me in the eyes and I smiled, she said straight to my eyes, "Atta girl, keep going." I lost it again as soon as she could not see me. Tears, a flood of tears. Why does this still bother me? Why does encouragement still send me to tears? I resigned to ponder that thought later so, I regrouped myself and kept on going.

Then, around another bend there was no race postman to tell me which way to go and I had no runners in front of me as they were all done, and only a handful behind me. I did not know which way to run. 'Are you kidding me, Laurie?', is what I heard my heart say. 'This is where you are. Still!' If I had not been able to see the buildings on Republic Road, I do not know which way I would have went. Because the first trek I made down this road before I reached the turn around, I was head down and crying and trying to convince myself to keep going. So, I did not know markers and I was lost. Behind ALL the runners, and lost. Tears.

I finally finish and see the timer. I would not walk past the finish line! So, I ran past it, 41:13. 15th from last, and looped around straight to my car and lost it again. My eyes were so flooded.

In retrospect, I did not respect the race. I did not respect the prep work for my body.

I am not running the 5K to win. I know I will not. That is ok with me. Really.

I am running these 5K's for simple reasons, but reasons that are mountains to me.
1. To Try my Body
2. To Finish Something
3. To Build for Tomorrows

AND, I have never loved the Lord my God with all my strength. Never. I would like to try. I know this is not what the verse means, as it means so much more than this. But my run, the journey does indeed build strength in me. And I will give it to Him for His glory.

A next race?? You might ask, ... yes, I am doing it again. My trainer says, no February races. At all. So, in March 2010 I will do another 5K.

I will let you know how it goes ... I covet your prayers for recovery. Emotionally & Physically.


P.S. I did not think it would glory the Lord at all to give Him this race, as I did my first one. So, I pondered whether to present it to Him. For this race was pathetic. I was by far the weakest: physically, emotionally, circumstantially, and daily, that I have been in awhile. But I gave it to Him anyway, because I know He will use it for His glory in spite of myself. He atones.

2 comments:

  1. A challenging day -- but look at you -- you prevailed and FINISHED that 5K! I am in awe of your will power and strength -- I think God would like this race. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that God would like this race as you did finish what you started. You will learn what happened to make this race different from the first and will build on it. God will be proud of you as I know I am. Again thank you for sharing the up and down hill of your journey. You are always in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete